Facts About Argentina
1. In 1913, Argentina was the world's 10th wealthiest nation per capita. Now it's the 54th.
2. Argentina has dropped 13 zeroes off their currency since 1970, a factor of ten trillion.
3. In 2001, Argentina had 5 presidents in 10 days.
4. In Argentina, political parties have their own brands of beer.
5. Pope Francis used to work as a bar bouncer in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
6. Argentina's retired soccer player Diego Maradona has his own religion made by his fans.
7. In 1938, 15,000 Argentines celebrated in Buenos Aires the NAZI annexation of Austria.
8. The toothpaste "Colgate" in Argentine Spanish translates to "Go Hang Yourself."
9. There is a Welsh-speaking part of Argentina. It has its own dialect of Welsh.
10. A heartbroken Argentine farmer spent decades cultivating a guitar-shaped forest to honor his late wife.
11. Between 1974 and 1983, up to 30,000 people went "missing" in Argentina. Most were killed by the military junta running the country.
12. The AMIA Bombing of Argentina in 1994 was one of the largest terrorist attacks in South America, killing 85 people.
13. Pope Francis was the first public personality in Argentina to sign a petition for justice in the 1994 AMIA terrorist attack.