1. Ancient Romans celebrated “Saturnalia”, a festival in which slaves and their masters would switch places.
2. Benjamin Franklin attempted to abolish slavery already in 1790.
3. America’s first slave owner was a black man.
4. A Slave in America in 1850 would cost over US$12,000 in 2013 dollars.
5. There are over 500,000 slaves in Mauritania today.
6. Part of the White House was built by slaves.
7. The concept behind the word “cool” might come from the African word “itutu”, brought to America by slavery.
8. The pyramids were built by paid laborers. Not slaves. That’s a myth by Herodotus, the Greek historian.
9. There are species of ants that enslave other ants.
10. Slavery was not made a statutory offense in the UK until April 6, 2010.
10 Facts You Did Not Know About Slavery