1. 14 billion pounds (6B Kg.) of garbage are dumped into the ocean every year. Most of it is plastic.
2. Americans make up 5% of the world’s population, and yet, produce 30% of the world’s waste and use 25% of the world’s resources.
3. For every 1 million tons of oil shipped, about 1 ton is spilled.
4. Almost a third of San Francisco’s air pollution comes from China.
5. A child dies every 8 seconds from contaminated water.
6. Breathing the air of Beijing has the same health risks as smoking 21 cigarettes a day.
7. 1 in every 8 deaths on earth are linked to air pollution, a study says.
8. 3.4 million people die each year from water-related causes.
9. Nearly 700 million Chinese people drink contaminated water.
10. Breathing the air in Mumbai, India, for just one day is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes.
10 Facts You Did Not Know About Pollution